The Best Way to Handle and Store a Cylindrical Sputtering Target
views, Updated: 2021-09-29
AEM Deposition reminds all of our clients, to avoid damage and contamination that could cause quality issues during the coating process, use simple precautions to store and handle cylindrical sputtering targets:
1. Never touch a sputter target surface with your bare hands. Handle targets with plastic or rubber gloves to avoid surface contamination and subsequent problems during sputtering.
2. Before lifting the target with a crane or handling it in any way, wrap it in protective paper and a layer of foam.
3. Keep the target surface clean at all times and free of dust, water, and grease.
Use under vacuum
1. When the sputter target is mounted and operating in a substantially horizontal position in the coater, prevent sagging or deformation of the tube by engaging the cooling water system and keeping the target rotating.
2. Before the coater's heaters are turned on, prevent non-uniform thermal loading by engaging the cooling water system and rotating the target.
3. Do not stop target rotation and do not shut off the cooling water until the heaters are turned off, and the system has cooled.
1. Keep a new sputtering target in its original packaging until it is used. If a target needs to be stored after partial use, re-wrap it in protective paper, foil or foam.
2. Store the target in its original crate, which should support the target on both ends and in the middle. Place the crate in a dry, dust-free environment.