How to Test the Fluidity of Metal Powder?
views, Updated: 2021-09-29
Fluidity is an important performance index of metal powder for 3D printing. SLM, EBM, LENS, and other processes have high requirements on the fluidity of metal powder. So, as a buyer, how to test the fluidity of metal powder to judge whether it meets the requirements? Here, we share the most commonly used test method of powder fluidity hall flow rate method.
The hall flow rate method is expressed by the time required for 50g metal powder to flow through the standard funnel with a specified aperture. The primary standards are ASTM b213-2017 and GB/T 1482-2010. The two test methods are shared as follows.
GB/T 1482-2010 standard:
Scope of application: The powder that can flow freely through the standard funnel with an aperture of 2.5mm can be used.
Sampling: Take at least a 200g sample and divide it into three parts.
Funnel: The funnel is made of non-magnetic and corrosion-resistant metal material, with a hole diameter of 2.5mm.
1) Weigh a 50g sample, to the accuracy of ± 0.1g.
2) Plug the hole at the bottom of the funnel with your finger and pour the sample into the funnel. Note that the powder must fill the complete hole at the bottom of the funnel.
3) Open the funnel hole, start timing, repeat three times the average arithmetic value, accurate to 0.2S.
4) When the powder does not flow, tap on the funnel to make the powder flow. If the powder does not flow even then, it should be considered that the powder has no fluidity.
Funnel: The surface roughness is ra = 0.4 × 10-6m, and the bottom hole is 10 inches (2.54mm roughness).
Method 1 - Measurement of flow starting with a stationary powder (static flow method)
1) 50.0 g powder is weighed with a clean weighing plate as the sample.
2) Plug the bottom drain hole with dry fingers and pour 50.0g powder into the center of the funnel. Avoid knocking, vibrating, or moving the funnel.
3) Turn on the timer and move the finger under the hole at the same time.
4) If the powder stops flowing, tap the edge of the funnel. However, it is not allowed to tap the funnel or stir further or stir the powder in the funnel with wire or other tools.
5) Record the flow time to 0.1 s.
6) Multiple measurements (50.0g sample is retaken for each measurement), and the average value should be taken.
Method 2 - Measurement with dynamic powder flow (dynamic flow method)
1) Place an empty container directly under the drain hole.
2) A clean weighing plate is used to weigh 50.0 g powder as the sample.
3) Pour 50.0 g powder sample into the funnel center and turn on the timer when the powder flows out of the orifice.
4) Record the flow time to 0.1 s.
5) Multiple measurements (50.0g sample is retaken for each measurement), and the average value is taken.
AEM Deposition is a high-quality metal powder supplier in China, which uses the proprietary plasma atomization technology to prepare the powder. The metal powder produced by it has high sphericity and less satellite balls, which can ensure the good fluidity of each batch of powder (Hall flow rate < 35S / 50g).
Each batch of powder products produced by AEM deposition will undergo a strict fluidity test before leaving the factory to meet 3D additive manufacturing requirements. We provide all kinds of metal powder for additive manufacturing. The details are as follows:
For more details, you can click the relevant link and visit the page. You are welcome to send us a direct email for inquiry. E-mail: [email protected]